Havre Daily News - News you can use

 
 

5 Things to Know in Montana for Aug. 14

 

August 13, 2014



Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.

MSU-NORTHERN COACH RESIGNS:

HAVRE — Montana State University-Northern officials say Mark Samson has resigned as the Lights' head football coach. Wednesday night's announcement came a day after school officials confirmed the 10-year coach had been placed on administrative leave for an undisclosed personnel issue. The statement from the university did not give a reason for Samson's resignation or why he was placed on leave. Defensive coordinator Jake Eldridge has been named interim head coach for the upcoming season.

WALSH IDENTIFIES LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES:

Beset by plagiarism allegations, Montana Sen. John Walsh still retains hope of advancing legislation through Congress before his brief tenure in Washington ends. Walsh says bills he backs that address veteran suicide and land conservation in Montana have the best chance to pass before his term ends in January. Walsh held a field hearing on Alzheimer's disease today in Billings.

REPORT LOOKS AT STATE WORKERS' HEALTH PLANS:

A new report says insurance pays for 94 percent of Montana state employees' health care costs. The report by the Pew Charitable Trusts says Montana's spending on its health plan has risen 1 percent between 2011 and 2013 to $126 million. The national average is a 2 percent spending increase.

ARRESTS MADE IN CAMPGROUND SLAYING:

Beaverhead County sheriff's officials say two people have been arrested in connection with the death of a man found at a campground near Wise River. The sheriff's office says Missoula police took Butte residents Sandra Cantrell and Christopher Stiles into custody last night. They are described as "individuals of interest" in the death of 60-year-old Mark Mullen of Butte.

SEX-ABUSE SETTLEMENT NEGOTIATIONS FAIL:

Attorneys say settlement talks between the Ursuline Sisters of the Western Province and hundreds of people who claim they were sexually abused by priests and nuns have failed. The first in a series of trials is scheduled for December. The Ursulines and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Helena are defendants in two lawsuits filed by 362 people who say they were abused as children. The diocese filed for bankruptcy as part of a proposed settlement with the plaintiffs

 

Reader Comments

(0)
 
 
 
Rendered 11/03/2014 21:46