By Alan Sorensen
Havre firefighters extinguished a house fire in the 500 block of Montana Avenue within minutes of their arrival, but not before the home sustained extensive heat and smoke damage.
The fire evidently started when a box on the electric stove ignited shortly before 4 p.m. The fire was reported at 4:04 p.m. and was completely out by about 4:10.
Assistant Fire Chief Dave Sheppard said there was little fire damage outside the kitchen, but that the entire building sustained heat and smoke damage.
Firefighters Tim Ranes and Kelly Paulson rescued the homes only occupant at the time, a fully-grown Labrador mix dog. The dog, which they found hiding behind a couch, was uninjured.
The renters living in the house apparently didnt have any renters insurance and firefighters said they saw no smoke detectors in the building.
The initial estimate of damage was more than $10,000.