By Jerome Tharaud/Havre Daily Newsemail@example.com
A Box Elder student burned by a propane flash during an art project last week has been upgraded from critical to serious condition.
Meanwhile, Hill County Sheriff Greg Szudera said today his department's investigation has determined that the fire was caused by a leaking propane tank in the classroom.
"It appears now that the tank was venting gas into the air and as it filled the room and spread across the room to where the student was making glass beads, the gas ignited and created a quick burn," Szudera said.
"I don't know if it's mechanical or human error," he said. "I'm still working on that. It may be a combination of both."
Phil Saum, spokesman for the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City, said the condition of Cassidy Pullin was upgraded in the last 24 hours.
Pullin, 18, was airlifted to the hospital's burn unit Thursday after propane ignited in the Art-Tech Building at Box Elder School.
"That's great news," Box Elder Public Schools Superintendent Robert Heppner said this morning. "I'm glad to hear it."
Pullin was one of three students and two art instructors injured in the fire. She is the only one who remains hospitalized.